Monday, August 12, 2013

It's Time to Try a New Craft Medium


August Silhouette Challenge ~ Etched Glass

 
 

For this month's challenge, I decided to try etching.  I have always liked the look, but too scared to try.  It did take a couple of tries to get it right, but I finally got it.  In the following tutorial I will share how I did it.

 

Supplies
Armour Etch - Hobby Lobby
Glass Candle Holder - Dollar Tree
Vinyl - Hobby Lobby
Transfer Tape - Silhouette Brand
Sponge brush - Wal-Mart
Latex gloves

First I did a google search for pumpkin clip art and found this cute pumpkin.
I then measured the candle holder to see what size I needed to size my pumpkin for my project.

      

Now you will open Silhouette Studio and do a copy and past.  Once the image in on your screen, you need to size it to the measurements you took earlier.   To outline the pumpkin so that it will have cutting lines around the pumpkin, you need to pick the select trace area.  Now un-check the High Pass filter and move the threshold over until the pumpkin is entirely highlighted.  Now you will pick the trace outer edge.


If you do not do the steps shown above when you choose the Cut Style Window it would show you a red square around the pumpkin.  This is because the trace option steps weren't done.  When you got ready to cut, it would just cut a square out.




After you select the trace outer edge, you can grab the colored pumpkin and pull them apart.  I did this just to show you the cut area.  You won't be needing to have color because you are going to cut it on vinyl. (there will be not printing for this project)  So either pumpkin with cut lines shown would work.


At this time I would check my cut lines and chose cut edge. 


Now it's time to cut.  Choose the cut settings by choosing the pencil at the top right of the page.  Pick the media that you are cutting, you will choose vinyl.  It will show you where you need to adjust your blade setting to.  Cut your vinyl to size and put it on your cutting mat, Load mat and hit cut.


1.  Weed out the inside of the pumpkin
2.  Take the transfer tape and add it to the top of the weeded pumpkin.  Make sure that it smoothed out well. 
3.  Now lift off the transfer tape with the weeded vinyl and lay it on your candle holder. 
This part you will want to make sure that you rub the image down VERY well.  Make sure that you get all bubbles out.  If you do NOT have it rubbed down well, the etching cream will leak through and ruin your project.  Trust me, it happened to me twice.  Third time was a charm.
4.  Remove the transfer tape and get ready for the next step.

  



 Be sure to read the instructions before getting started.  Also wear a pair of latex gloves to protect your hands from the chemicals in the etching cream.  After reading the instructions, with the sponge brush, apply a generous amount of etching cream.


Let the cream sit for 6 min.  Letting it stay on any longer doesn't help.  It stops the process at 6 min.  after that, you are just taking chances of the cream leaking through the vinyl.  Now just rinse it of in the sink.  At first it will look like nothing has happened.  Remove the vinyl and dry off, you will then see the etched image. 

Here is a sample of what happens when you do not make sure the vinyl is firmly pressed down.
Once it has leaks through, it's no good.  You will have to try again. 

Here is what the final one turned out like!  There is a piece of orange card stock to show you the details of the etching.

Much better!!

I do have the file if you would like to use it to create your own candle holder.  It's late and I can't figure out how to post it here.  I will have it posted tomorrow.  Sorry.

Here is another one that I designed.  Hope you like it.  It can be used for all seasons.  I'm going to put some coffee beans at the bottom and the candle at the top.  For Christmas, you can add glitter with snowflakes and a red candle.  I hope I can find the right size candles, I haven't been able to yet.
 
For the scroll part, I found it here.  I modified it a bit, but I got the original stencil from All Things Thrifty!  Thanks Brooke for the free pattern.



I did find out that not all glass will etch.  I had this tall cylinder bottle someone gave me and my plan was to put  "Schyler's  Stache (with the actual mustache cut out) on it.  It just would not etch.
I decided to put vinyl on it instead.  I'll post a picture of it tomorrow if you would like to see it.

One Last Picture
 
If you would like the free cutting files for this project you can get pumpkin here and Joy here!
ENJOY!



And if you'd like to check out some more Silhouette creations, here's a collection of projects by my Silhouette Challenge buddies....


Hymn Art by Unoriginal Mom
D.I.Y. Wedding Invitations by Create & Babble
"Keep Calm" Onesie by The Thinking Closet
August Silhouette Challenge Project by Give Me a Paintbrush
Fancy Powder Room Sign by Joy & Gladness of Heart
How to Organize Cards & Photos by Super Sweet Life
Milk Jug Crayon Bucket by It Happens in a Blink
The Gold and Beautiful by The House on Hillbrook
A Stache Bash Part 1 by Home at Eight
One Shoe Can Change Your Life by An Elegant Touch
Washi Tape Wall Art by Tried & True
Washi Tape & Vinyl Sign by Tossed Salad Life


  Interested in joining us for our group posting event next month?  We'd love to have you.  Simply contact Lauren from The Thinking Closet by email.



31 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I have never tried this before but now I must. First of all you have inspired me to make some fall type things as well. I can't believe I am even thinking about fall. Anywho, I have a couple of questions. First, is the etching permanent? I see the price was $20.00 for the bottle of etching goo, how long does that last? Thanks for sharing your projects, they turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie....Yep, it is permanent. I do suggest going to a Dollar Tree or something like that (oh and get more than one~it took me a couple times to get my vinyl down really good ~ I did test the opposite side before I moved on to a new item.) I should have put in my post that I used the 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby! I have seen where when you are ready to wash it off, they put the excess back in the jar. I tried it once and I don't recommend it. The next time I went to use it, there were some harder parts that had crystalized. Some glass doesn't etch. Someone from work gave me this really cool cylinder jar. I don't think it was expensive, but it did have a different coating on it. I opted to put vinyl instead (I'll try to post pictures tonight) I can't wait to make some for Christmas gifts. I want to monogram them. I hope this helps :).

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I really want to try my hand at glass etching! The pumpkin is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara! It was fun. Now that I have it down, I want to etch everything! I will try to add the cut file today...

      Delete
  3. I want to try it, too! I love the Christmas glass...it will look so pretty with a candle inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I want to get a pretty red candle and some faux snow to put in it. I can't find the right size candle. THANKS

      Delete
  4. These are so pretty. I've been wanting to try etching and you've inspired to get going with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I've been too nervous to try the etching. Maybe I will now! Awesome job Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alisha! I was nervous too, but it's really very easy. I wasn't getting my vinyl down very good. It makes a huge difference. I do recommend starting with a cheap item and if it isn't exactly how you want it, test it on the opposite side. The item is already ruined and you don't use very much etching cream...it was worth it for me.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh, Tanya, I love the JOY candle holder, it looks very expensive. I love how the Silhouette and some simple supplies can transform ordinary to extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie. It came out on the first try! That candle holder cost alittle more, but still very inexpensive. I'm thinking about removing the Joy and adding my family's last name there. I'm addicted to my silhouette!

      Delete
  7. These are AWESOME! Pinned to my silhouette board, as I need some other great glass etching ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Emily. I'm going to try to do monograms on them for the ladies at work. I just need to find a good monogram font. I love giving and getting personalized gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just lovely! Definitely inspiring me to try mixing etching and the Silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa..I love that there are so many things that you can do with the silhouette!

      Delete
  10. Wow! Way to persevere until you got it right...because both pieces turned out beautifully. And that's good to know about etching plateauing after 6 minutes. Knowing me, I'd leave that stuff on for an hour, thinking it was getting EXTRA etched. ;-) Cannot WAIT to try etching. You've got me excited to do some holiday themed projects, too. Thanks for the tips, my friend! And for sharing your expertise in such a clear, easy to follow manner. You make a great teacher, Tanya.

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all look fabulous. Glass etching is on my To do list. After seeing your awesome results I might move it up the list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! You should try it, you'll love it!

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much Lauren. It was fun. I think I'm going to make some for Christmas gifts. Thanks for putting this on every month. It has truly inspired me to keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited to start decorating for the holidays now. This is a great project and thank you for such a detailed tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brenna and you are very welcome. I know what I want to say to explain how to do things, but have a hard time saying it sometimes.

      Delete
  14. I REALLY want to try glass etching, too. This turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Carrie, you are way too sweet! I think you should give it a try. I'm gonna work on some other things this weekend, I'll let you know how they turned out!

      Delete
  15. those are so pretty- I have yet to try the etching material - kinda scares me- not sure why...great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! If I can do it, You can! It scared me at first too! It's not hard at all!

      Delete
  16. I have some etching creme that I need to try! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke...getting to make some for Christmas gifts.

      Delete
  18. This is amazing! I have tried etching cream numerous times now and never had good luck with it. But yours turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coley, I had to do the same. I bought 1.00 item from the Dollar tree, I did it 3 times on one candle holder, each time got better. I didn't mind loosing a dollar item, I think if I would have chosen a more expensive item for the first time and it didn't work, I might not have tried again. The larger holder was from Wal-Mart..still pretty inexpensive. The two main things for me was making sure it was really sticking to the item. I thought I had done that, but the next time I tried, I really took the time to make sure that every inch was stuck down really good. The other thing is, with this etching cream, it doesn't matter if you leave it on 6 min or 15, it etches the same. The longer it is left on, the more likely to get seepage. Hope this helps. Oh, I also found the Joy one was easier than the pumpkin....not sure quite why.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading your comments.