Monday, May 13, 2013

My first Silhouette Challenge Group project.......

Hello everyone.  This is my first time to post to the group.  I'm sooo darn excited.  I just hope my project is up to par. This project has been rolling around in my head for some time. 

I got a my Cameo about 6 mos. ago and it is by far my most favorite tool in my craft room.  I am on two design/creative teams right now and I have used my cameo for all projects but one (so far).  It's not that I don't like other mediums, It's just so darn easy to use my print and cut feature on the cameo.

For this project I used vinyl.  I love vinyl, you can put it on soooo much. You can make a project look so nice with it.  I really want to try other types of vinyl, like iron on vinyl or outdoor vinyl.  I did just do a project with the regular vinyl from the silhouette store on an outdoor metal chair for a friend's grandaughter.  I used a clear spray sealer because I don't have any outdoor vinyl right now.  I told her to let me know how that goes (for future projects).

So without futher adieu....here is my project.  Hope you enjoy....now on to see everyone else's projects....Whoo Hoooo!






I bought this frame years ago thru Stampin' UP!  I found it while cleaning out the garage attic.  Another wooohoo!! (for cleaning out the garage and finding this frame)  It's a white canvas type frame.  I came up with this little tutorial to show you the steps.


Step 1 - First I bought the Artisian Flourish image at the Silhouette online store.  I used Silhouette Studio and sized it to the desired size and cut it out with vinyl.  Be sure to check your settings for vinyl.  This way it doesn't cut all the way thru.  For the "The Alley Family"  I just played around until I got something I thought went with the medallion.  Most of my fonts I get for free at Dafont.com


Step 2 - I put a base coat of tan down.  This is the color that will show thru at the end when you remove the vinyl.  Make sure this coat is dried completely.



Step 3 - After "weeding" out your vinyl and applying transfer tape to it,  I eyeballed where I wanted it to go and layed it down.  Once down you will want to smooth it out with a scraper (even a credit card or a scraper that comes with your Pampered Chef stones will work) Make sure that the vinyl is down good. 




Step 4 - Top coat of paint.  I used black.  I completely covered my frame with the black.  Let dry, but still have a little tackiness to it. 



Step 5 - Take your "weed" tool, I got mine from the Silhouette Online store, (You can use and exacto knife if you don't have this tool) and remove all the vinyl pieces from your project.  At this stage you can do any touch ups with the paint if needed.  I didn't do this, but I read somewhere that once you put your vinyl on your project you can go over with modge podge and let dry.  This helps with having crisp lines.



Step 6 - Add any embellishments and of course your pictures.  My husband didn't like the picture of my youngest, well it isn't that he didn't like it, he just thought it was too big for the frame.





Hope you enjoyed my project! ~ Tanya 


Want to check out some more  Silhouette Projects?  Here's a collection of projects by my Silhouette Challenge buddies.

Spring Hoop Home Decor - Daily Dwelling
Girly Superhero Decor - Coley's Corner

Interested in joining us for our group posting event next month? We'd love to have you. Simply contact Lauren from The Thinking Closet by email.



6 comments:

  1. Tanya, this turned out beautifully! I love the colors you chose to work with...those gorgeous blingy embellishments you added...and of course, the sweet tribute to your family! What a loving mother you are. (Happy belated Mother's Dad.) This project was MORE than up to par, and I'm so very glad that you joined us this month! You are chock full of creative ideas, my dear.

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Lovely project - and as I've not used vinyl as yet, I'd never have guessed at the process you used, so Thank You for explaining it! Welcome Aboard! ;-}
    Lynden

    http://aneleganttouch-lynden.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/An-Elegant-Touch-/162889457132788
    http://pinterest.com/lyndenelise/an-elegant-touch-my-blog
    http://pinterest.com/lyndenelise/my-digital-photo-restorations

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a super doo project. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful frame! I have seen this technique done with words but never thought to do it with shapes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikessssssssssssssssssssssssssss this turned out FABULOUS...........

    ReplyDelete
  6. i had not seen this- very pretty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading your comments.