Monday, September 9, 2013

Happy Fall Yall.......

Fall is one of my favorite times of the year.  I love the colors and the cooler temperatures mostly.   It's the time when you get to go to the pumpkin patch to get your pumpkins to decorate.  It also means that Halloween is right around the corner.  For me, Halloween is about pumpkins, candy, cute decorations and fun fall parties.  I don't like the scary part of Halloween. 
When the kids were younger, I use to love decorating for school parties.  I even hostested a fall party for my son's football team one year.  We roasted hotdogs, smores and had all the candy, pop and deserts you could think of.  We even had a really fun scavenger hunt. 
So for this month's FB Challenge, I had an idea of what I wanted to do.   These cute bags are perfect for parties, giving to your special friends, or ever your co-workers.   And after all the candy is gone, you are still left with the cute little bat to wear for years to come.   You could do the spider treat bags the same way, but I opted to paint them directly onto the bags.
I got these little muslin bags from Pick Your Plum.  I bought them last year, but forgot I had them until it was too late to use them for Halloween.   I've been waiting all this time to use them.   The images used on these cute bat and spider treat bags are from Peppermint Creative





Supply List:
Muslin Bags
Modge Podge
Silhouette Chipboard
glue - Spare Parts
Pin for the back
google eyes
yellow & black paint
acetate sheet
Sponge applicator
 COMMERCIAL Vectors - Spooky Cuties 
Used these commercial vectors from Peppermint Creative for my project.


First I opened Silhouette Studio Designer Edition and picked the circle on the left hand of the screen and drug out about a 2 inch circle and did a trace outline on my spider.  I loaded the acetate and hit cut.  It was cut on a blade setting of 3 and speed 3.


For my little bat pin, I did a print and cut and then cut 2 more of the same size on silhouette chipboard.

When you do a print and cut you will make sure that you choose the right paper size and check registration
marks (shown below)
My printer only prints up to a 8 1/2 x 11.  One day I will get one that prints bigger, but for now this will work. 




To cut the chipboard you do NOT do a print and cut so  you can use 12 x 12.  I also had a scrap piece that fit right at the top of my page. (You can see it in the "supply" picture above)  To cut, choose chipboard in the print menu.


(Please excuse the bad manicure, I just finished painting a wood pumpkin that needed touching up ~ wish I would have done a better job at getting it all off ~ sorry!)

After getting all the pieces printed and cut out, the next step is to paint on the muslin bags.  First, cut a piece of card board and put into your bag.  This keeps the paint from bleeding through. 


Next put a little paint into a paper plate.   Dab your sponge brush off a little so that you don't have your brush too wet.


Put your stencil on your bag ( I used a couple of pieces of double stick tape to help hold it in place)
Apply using and inward motion.


Remove your template and let dry.  For this one, you will still have to make the little bat pin. 


 For the bat you will follow the same steps using the spider template.



To finish off the spider, you will add the google eyes using a glue stick.  I purchased the glue stick in the part of the craft store that sells all the tiny gems. 


Now to make the removable bat pin. 

Take one of the bats that you cut out of the chipboard and add a layer of modge podge.


Add another layer of chip board and then another layer of modge podge. 


Yep, I'm pretty messy!  (I can't believe I'm actually posting this picture)
After getting the chip board pieces together, smash them together with your fingers all the way around.


Apply another layer of modge podge and put the printed bat on top.  You can put another layer over the top, but I chose not to. 

(bad nails again!)  Wish I would have paid more attention to that.  UGH!!!

To finish your bat, add the pin.  I used pins that didn't require any glue.  You just remove the sticker paper and stick it to your project.



That's it!!!!  Add your pin to your treat bag and your done!  Aren't they cute?
Hope you enjoyed this month's project.  It was a lot of fun making them. 


  

WANT TO CHECK OUT MORE SILHOUETTE PROJECTS?


My Silhouette Challenge buddies are all sharing projects today on their blogs, so peruse the links below for a blog-hopping good time.
Organizing for Preschool by Life After Laundry
Stamped Wrapping Paper Tutorial by The Thinking Closet
Gender Reveal Fabric Banner by Create & Babble
Preschool Lovey Book by A Tossed Salad Life
Front Door Sign by Cutesy Crafts
Paper Pumpkin Banner by Chicken Scratch NY
A Stache Bash Shower by Home At Eight
Fall Decor with the Silhouette by Coley's Corner
Happy Fall Y'all by Tanya's Creative Space
Halloween Lights by Lil' Mrs. Tori
Customized Disney T-Shirts by DailyDwelling
Craft Room Labels by Super Sweet Life
Toddler Growth Chart by Joy and Gladness of Heart
"Let's Hear it For the Boys!" by An Elegant Touch
"Interested in joining us for our group posting event next month?  We'd love to have you.  Simply contact Lauren from The Thinking Closet by email."  Here's a link to the March Silhouette Challenge post if it's helpful to see an example.

31 comments:

  1. So awesome. I want to make these for our trick or treaters. It looks so fancy and spooky! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! What a cute idea! I will have to try making some of these for friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tori, they really are very simple to make!

      Delete
  3. These are adorable Tanya! I might just have to make some with the bags you sent me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jessica! You should, they are supper easy to do. The spiders more so than the bats. But, you could just do the bat right on the bag instead of making the pin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cami! I love making Halloween things. You'll have to keep checking back because, I'm going to do some other fall/Halloween projects. I hope you have a great day too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable!!! And so simple to make..I think I may have to have a kiddie halloween party just so I can make the bags! Great job! Xo, dee @ from wine to whine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna, they are easy and alot of fun to do! I know, I wish my kids were small sometimes. Oh well, maybe for grandkids someday.

      Delete
  7. Adding the pin to the treat bag is such a great idea. they are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Pam! That was my original idea and then I added the spiders! I couldn't resist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing...Can't believe the creativity you have!!! The older I get, the less I have. Thank heavens for people like you, so people like me can copy these great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're amazing...such creativity! Glad we have people like you, so I can get some great ideas!!! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww shucks, you are waaaay to sweet! I love love love sharing!! So most ideas I have and actually do, you will see and are most welcome to!
      Thanks Teri!

      Delete
  11. Really cute, not-too-scary goodie bags! Great tutorial, also! ;-}
    Lynden

    http://aneleganttouch-lynden.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/Lynden.AnElegantTouch

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lynn, Cute goodies bags, right? lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not really a Halloween person, but I love these treat bags! So fun and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun goodie bags for Halloween! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. those came out so great! what a nice treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly. I had a lot of fun making them.

      Delete
  16. girl these are too spooky cute!!! love the bat pin :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Rose! That means a lot coming from such a talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tanya, your projects always look so finished and professional! And why are you bashing your nails? They look lovely to me! And the messy picture was my favorite...because it shows real crafting! ("Creativity is messy, and I'm very creative." One of my favorite quotes.)

    Thanks for participating in this month's Silhouette Challenge Group Post, Tanya. You always leave me inspired!

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much Lauren. I was just being so messy. I appreciate all of your comments and I am so happy that I have you as a friend. Thanks for all the help you give me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute project Tanya! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Alisha, I can't wait until this weekend..I'm going to work on some more! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these bags! Such a cute project. I have found myself repeating this lately but, I want a Silhouette so bad!! :) Thanks for linking up to the Less Laundry, More Linking party.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Mariely! I recommend it highly! Worth EVERY single penny! I think the cheapest way right now is Overstock.com. There are two offers for the same amount. One comes with way more than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  24. fantastic my friend...i love love making fabric bags and stuff....hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading your comments.