Sunday, April 28, 2013

Finally, spring weather today...........

Yes, we finally got some spring weather today!   We are not out of the woods yet though, it is suppose to freeze next week.  Of course it is, this is Oklahoma.  We will probably skip spring all together and go straight to 100 degree summer!!! 

With spring here (I hope it stays) I really wanted to work on a milk can my friend and I got last  summer.  We like to go "junking" together.   That's what we call it anyway.  She has several of these cans.  I got one, not really know what I would do with it.  I had to do something with it, It just took me a while to figure it out.  Here is a sneak peek.  Keep reading to see what the final project turned out like.


I started first by spray painting it black.  After that I used my favorite craft tool, (I'm sure you haven't heard that before) my silhouette cameo to cut out a commercial vector from Peppermint Creative.  It's called Elegant Welcome word art
COMMERCIAL Vectors - Elegant Welcome Word Art
 
I couldn't decide on what to do after.  I didn't know if I wanted to put a dry flower arrangement or a live plant in it.  My friend, Teresa, does beautiful arrangements and did one in hers.  I just couldn't make up my mind (that's nothing new) so I decided to go the cheap way with the ivy.  Oh and the ribbon, yeah that took me forever to decide too!!!!  I hope you like the finished product.  It's sitting on my front porch.  My husband even said he liked it.
 


19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration! My Dad passed down 2 old milk cans to me. I have been looking for ways to bring them back to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. It was very easy and I even used the cheap vinyl from Hobby Lobby and it's still there today. I need a new ribbon, but that is it.

      Delete
  2. Did you place the ivy on top of the lid? Or remove the lid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My can didn't have a lid when I bought it. The plant is just sitting in the hole.

      Delete
  3. I am so doing this!!! As a matter of fact, I am going to check out a milk can tomorrow!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. where did you find the ribbon and do you know what size pot the ivy is in? We just did our front yard landscaping and I have a Cape style home and this will look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the ribbon at Hobby Lobby. I just bought some new ribbon today though, because that one got dirty fast. It had a more white color instead of the burlap color. The one I just bought is chevron (black and brown)
      I bet yours is beautiful, I would love to see a picture.

      Delete
    2. I just sprayed my milk can, letting it dry. How much ribbon did you use?

      Delete
    3. How much ribbon did you use?

      Delete
    4. I just bought a roll from Hobby Lobby. It's not by the material...it's over by the flower and burlap ribbons.

      Delete
  5. I have several old cans. They were just painted and sad. I so stole your idea. Love it!!!!! I put fresh summer flowers on top. Looks great. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Steal away, that is why I share my ideas. :) I would love to see a photo.

      Delete
  6. My milk can is rusty - did you have to use anything to prep the can before you painted it? Not sure if I need to somehow sand it, strip it, or sand blast it... or something of that nature before I can paint it. And did you put a sealant on it after the paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for getting to this post until now, I hope you will forgive me. I didn't prep it at all. Just sprayed painted it black and used cheap vinyl. After TWO years it's still there! I do think that sanding it and prepping wouldn't be a bad idea. I would love to see pics of your finished project.

      Delete
  7. Love this!! My hubby found two for me... The one with no lid is in our entryway as an umbrella holder. I am definitely doing this with the other!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa!! I would love to see pics. It was so easy and can you believe after two years that it still looks the same. I used cheap vinyl (because I didn't know better) and it's still there. I would love to see pics of your projects!!

      Delete
  8. So any kind of spray paint will do?? I want to paint sunflowers on mine too. Any recommendations on kind of paint? Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used just the cheap spray paint from Wal-Mart....still there after all these years.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading your comments.