Monday, June 10, 2013

This month's Facebook Silhouette Challenge..........

This is my second time doing the Silhouette Facebook challenge.  I love being a part of this group.  Because of some wonderful ladies on this group, I was encouraged to do a fundraiser for my friend Jessica.  Jessica was part of one of the many families that lost everything to the horrific tornados that went over Carney, OK two weeks ago.  Because of this fundraiser I raised enough to order Jessica a Silhouette Portrait.  If I get more donations, I will get her supplies to go with her handy dandy Portrait.  I can't wait to see the smile on her face.  THANKS LADIES!!!

This months project was done using vinyl again (sorry)  I love vinyl.  I've kept it pretty simple so far.  There are many other things that I want to do with vinyl like layering, HTV (heat transfer vinyl), etc.

Of course I used my Cameo to cut this cute bird cage I bought from the Silhouette store.  I bought this plate from a second hand store.  I don't get to go very often, but this is one of the things I always look for.  I think this plate cost me a quarter.  How awesome is that.  I did get one at a "junk" store the other day and paid $5.00 for it.  I thought that was high, but is an unusual shape.   The plate holder I got at our local craft store for half off.


Supplies used: 
Plate - second hand store
Vinyl - craft store
Transfer tape - Silhouette store
black ribbon- craft store
plate holder - craft store
Not Pictured - glue gun

After cutting the bird house on my cameo I took the excess vinyl off

I then cut around the image and the "weeded" the small pieces out with a tool I purchased from the silhouette store.


After weeding out the excess I then applied the transfer tape and smoothed it out with a Pampered Chef scrapper.  I couldn't find my tool I got from the Silhouette store and I have several of these from stones I bought.  An old credit card will do the same.  I've have tried using contact paper and it just is not the same.  It was a big pain in the rear.  Transfer tape is more expensive but so worth it.  Contact paper just isn't sticky enough for me.  I have heard that it works for others.  I just don't have the patience for it. 



I then positioned on the plate and smoothed it out with the scraper

Remove the transfer paper and VOLIA!
 
I then added my embellishments.  I hot glued the bow on.
 
The pearl is from Stampin' Up! It already has adhesive on it.

I bought the plate stand at my local craft store when it was 50% off.  I'm going to put it in my craft room (if it ever really becomes MY craft room)
 
What's a bird cage without a bird?  I just didn't think about it when I made it, so it's just photoshopped in.   
 
The last two pictures are just me just being silly!........



Make Your Own "Rubber" Stamps by Coley's Corner


This Month's Facebook Silhouette Challenge by Tanya's Creative Space

3D Tea Gift Box Download by Creative Turn

File Cabinet Makeover by Super Sweet Life

Jewelry Box Creation by Joy & Gladness of Heart

Retro Chair Silhouette by Tried & True

Toddler Train T-Shirt by The Thinking Closet


Placecard & Card Medley by An Elegant Touch


Pretty & Personal Birthday Bundle by The House on Hillbrook

11 comments:

  1. The project turned out so well! I've never thought about putting vinyl on a decorative plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! I love that you put a bird in the cage, though I think it's really nice without the bird too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that came out so sweet! I love the black with a pop of color! super creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips for a Silhouette newbie like me. I wouldn't have thought about using the PC scrapper. And I have been debating whether or not to buy the fancy transfer paper. I think I will need to, now, if for no other reason than compare it to the contact paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THese are super sweet, Tanya. Love the way you added embellishments (and the photoshopped birds are adorable)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been using contact paper, just because it was cheap, but you have me seriously considering investing in some transfer paper. Sounds like it will make the job so much easier.

    Tanya, I love your tastes...this turned out so elegant. (The embellishments you added are the perfect touch!) And hooray for the photoshopped birds. That made me smile.

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ladies for such sweet comments. Jen, I do recommend the transfer paper...for me, the contact paper just didn't stick well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute idea! You could totally make removable pieces like the ones you photoshopped. That would be really fun. It's very elegant on it's own. Love the styling and extra details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tanya, that is really a great idea. I like that you used a tutorial for the application to the plate. I haven't tried vinyl yet, and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, Thrifty, Thoughtful project! I've not Ventured into Vinyl as yet, but look forward to trying it someday soon - ;-}
    Lynden

    http://aneleganttouch-lynden.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/An-Elegant-Touch-/162889457132788
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lyndens-Cookie-Lee-Jewelry/209062415911124

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading your comments.